The inspiration of this bedroom was born around this headboard I got at a second-hand furniture store for $35.
Meanwhile, Jaci and I had painted stripes (a year previous) and I had found a remnant piece of navy carpet at my local carpet store, Mesa Sales. Often, they have large remnants and their prices are really good. This piece is 12' x 12' and cost $125. Since this carpet had a relatively high pile, I didn't even have to have the edges bound because the sides of the carpet hang over the raw edge and you can't tell it's an unfinished edge.
I found the DKNY bedskirt at Goodwill for a few bucks and used some fabric glue to attach the fun blue and white striped trim. It's a great way to add something extra for very little money.
The wall art? That was a little brainchild of mine, but when I finally got around to actually doing it (a year later), I saw that it had already been done on Pinterest! (and done WELL, I might add!) I'm still claiming I made it up. (although clearly I didn't?) Maybe the part I DID make up was the use of paint sticks. The girl on Pinterest used balsa wood, which would have cost me around $40 for my project. Balsa wood would have been great to work with because it is super light and you can cut it with a pair of scissors, no saws needed. But I have a saw and didn't want to spend the extra money, so I rounded up around 100 paint sticks and started cutting.
I cut the curved handle end off of each one, and cut the other end at a 45 degree angle. I cut half of the angles one way, then changed my saw to cut the angle 45 degrees the other way. Since two pieces are coming together in the middle, they have to be cut opposite so they form a V. You want to make sure that they are all the exact same finished size, too.
My sweet sister came over one night and we painted all of them in bright, fun colors. We left a few of them raw, just to break up all the color. Don't forget to paint all the sides, too!
Once they were all laid out to our liking, we used a hot glue gun and some plain paint sticks to attach them together along the backside. I also got some wood scraps in different depths to make some of them pop off the wall just a bit to give more of a 3-D look. It looks much more interesting than if they were all laying flat against the wall. I twisted some wire to make little hangers and used a glue gun to secure them to the tops of each piece.
The quote on the wall was thought up by none other than Mia. She designed it and traced it onto the wall for me. G showed up ready to help and we hand painted it for hours.....and hours. It was SO hard to paint on that textured wall and get straight, crisp lines.
Stay tuned for part two of the bedroom details........ coming to you soon!