21.2.14

bedroom details, part two


The saga continues......

The window in Jaci's bedroom used to be an eyesore, but now it's  a focal point.  I tackled all the window trim by myself (!) and finished it in a night.


After it was filled, caulked, sanded and painted, it looked so much better.  But as I stood back and surveyed it, I concluded that the window was never going to look good with that old and tired scratched up black metal around it.  I taped off all the wood and the walls around the window to prep it for a clean and crisp coat of kelly green semi gloss paint.


It took an hour and a half to tape off and 30 seconds to spray it.  It's one of my favorite things in the room.


Mia came over one night and we made the window treatment:  a workable roman shade with blackout lining.  Teenagers need their beauty sleep.  I loved the fabric I chose, but after it was done and installed, it was looking a little bit plain.


I had some navy trim in my stash which ended up looking great in two rows glued (with fabric glue) down each side.  Adding that little detail made all the difference.


The frames are all {ribba} frames from IKEA.  Jaci is a photographer (her instagram name is @jacimariesmith) and I wanted to showcase what she is passionate about, so I ordered 8 of her favorite pictures in a 12 x 12 size from {mpix}.  It will be fun to switch them out for new favorites, as the mood strikes, for a whole new look.


The coolest console table in America (and maybe the whole world?) is from a thrift store, picked up for $12!!!  It's really narrow (12 inches) and over 8 ft. long, and it's one of my most favorite finds EVER!  You can see in the "before" picture of this space that it has an odd drawer.


That's because it was missing a drawer when I found it.  My sweet dad made me a new drawer and by the time I sanded, prepped, and painted it, you would never know it's any different from the others!  I got the hardware from Lowes.


The chair was found looking very forlorn at Goodwill for $4.99.


The metal parts received a coat of gold spray paint,  and the wood parts were painted white.  I reupholstered the seat cushion in really soft, white leather(ish) fabric and added the fun green and white striped welt to make it pop!  I also added a touch of green paint on the front and back of the chair just for fun.



The big, brown closet doors have been transformed into nice, bright doors that don't dominate the room anymore.  I sketched out a little design and Andrew did a perfect job cutting and installing the moulding exactly how I wanted it.  We just used wood glue and painters tape to hold it overnight, then took the doors outside to spray them.



For the handles, I followed {this} tutorial, using some handles from IKEA and a strip of wood.  Such a great way to get a nice big handle for large closet doors.



Well, that's it for this room!  The only other thing I have planned is new flooring and baseboards.  I found some great tongue and groove laminate in a light pine on Craigslist a few weeks ago and bought enough to cover Jaci's room and the boys room which is right across the hall.  We ripped the boys tile out two summers ago and painted the cement floor to hold us over, but it will be so nice to have some real flooring!


I'm always working on our home and have lots of things started.....always waiting for inspiration, motivation, or cash to complete most things.  Thanks for joining me on my journeys and for your sweet comments.  That's where lots of my motivation comes from!

Still working on tying up the small, unfinished details of that pesky bathroom.  It will be revealed before next year, I can totally promise that! 

your girl,
jilly

34 comments:

  1. Awesome room! I love it A LOT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pop of green on the window along with the trim on the shade. Excellent call.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking FOREVER for a console that was 8 feet, I finally just made one. TWELVE DOLLARS???? Sigh. The find of the century! The whole freaking room is so dreamy and perfect I can't even take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is even BETTER in person- thanks so much for the tour. Best bday EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is even BETTER in person- thanks so much for the tour. Best bday EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love it when a post from you pops up on bloglovin'. I continue to be impressed at your creativity and low-cost solutions to "eye-sores". Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have more energy and creativity than 6 other girls Mia..... amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing and wonderful make-over! You (and your friends!) are so talented. Jaci is a lucky girl to have such a well put-together room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your article is great. Take a look at mine. zazasudawan

    ReplyDelete
  10. บอลออนไลน์
    https://daymanjesus.hatenablog.com/
    https://188betgroup.com/
    A good article gives a lot more knowledge about this. I will continue to support your work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ไพ่แบล็คแจ็ค
    A good article gives a lot more knowledge about this. I will continue to support your work. Thank you.
    http://rb88group.com/
    https://ufabettip.net/

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I Love it...
    and i thing thats good for you >>


    DIY & HOWTO Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These DIY home improvement innovations range from digitized color swatch scanners to modular flat-pack .
    Wood pallet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject.สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  20. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative..สล็อตทรูวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice bLog! its interesting. thank you for sharing....
    สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  23. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me.สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it..
    เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  26. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place..เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...