22.4.11

seven dollar lamp

I have a small addiction.  OK maybe two.  It's called iamobsessedwithlamps. And reeses peanut butter eggs.
When I moved into my house a year ago, I knew that every single light fixture HAD to go.  Bright brass, and tacky, frosted sconces absolutely wouldn't do.  Since this home is a rental, I'm certainly not interested in spending any more than $20 on any given fixture.  Lamps are a bonus, because they aren't permanent and they can move right out with me (heaven forbid I move again ANYTIME soon!). 

This lamp caught my eye on dollar day at Goodwill, and I knew it would be the perfect thing for the desk nestled in the corner of my teenage daughter's bedroom.


The shade had a few minor flaws, the biggest one being the wire frame showing through the thread bare fabric in several spots.  I knew I had to address that issue, but I still wanted to provide plenty of light for my studious little sweetheart.  I found a sheer gray fabric in my stash and ripped it into 3.5" strips.  I turned one edge under a quarter inch and ran a basting stitch down that edge with my machine. 


The only reason I turned it under is because I didn't want any of the metal showing through, and the material was so sheer, I wanted double fabric coverage.  I ruffled it up (by pulling the bobbin thread of my basting stitch) and used a glue gun to adhere each ruffle along each of the wires of the frame, hiding the exposed metal where the fabric had worn out. 

That worked like a charm, and I was so taken with the ruffles, that I added another one in between each of the four that were already there.  I looked at it for a couple of days, trying to decide if I wanted to add anything else to the shade. 

In the end, I decided less was more, and put my sewing machine away (which was hard).  I found a gray trim at Joann's that looks a lot like a skinny seat belt, which I added to the top and bottom of the shade with my trusty glue gun. 


The trim took the femininity down a notch, which is precisely what I was going for.

So, total cost for this project....$1 for the lamp and shade, $3 for the spray paint on the base, fabric was free from my collection, and $3 for the trim = $7 for a really great, tall lamp (39") that will make a fun statement in this cute and sassy teenager's room.  


This is my oldest child and only girl, Jaci.  I adore her. She got her driver's permit this week....oh boy.  I can't possibly be this old!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I'm working on my own goodwill lamp re-do right now. The shade is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vertical ruffles are so unexpected. 99% of people would have gone horizontally. I love the unexpected and it echoes the vertical lines in the lamp base. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i, too, love the vertical ruffles. it looks so amazing.

    kiki
    www.kikicreates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job! I like this lamp a lot, found you via vintage revivals :)

    kat@indignantcorgi.com (not liz! ;)

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...