28.8.13

chapter 52 in the bathroom chronicles.....the ceiling

I know that the ceiling of a space is not the most important, and probably shouldn't warrant an entire blog post, but since I spent 10 hours on it, you're going to hear about it!

So, clearly this bathroom has been a domino effect.  This happens in design, even with legit designers.  I loved {Jenny's post} (Little Green Notebook) on this very thing.  It made me laugh out loud and of course I completely agreed with and totally followed her train of thought.

I probably would have tried to forget the ceiling even existed, but here's the thing..... The bathroom ceiling is dropped to 7 feet because it's in a basement and there is duct work above it.  That makes is really close to your head when you walk in, so you can't help but notice it.  When I decided what I wanted to do with the vanity lighting, my design called for flush mount fixtures. (more on those fabulous fixtures later!)  The AC vent just happened to be right in the exact spot that the center light fixture needed to be.  Of course.  So I had to call Jim (my fabulous neighbor and AC professional) to move the vent.


When Jim finished his work, this is what I was left with.


So much fun.

Melanie came over and told me what I needed to do.  That girl knows everything!  So I did as she instructed.  I cut the opening into a rectangle with straight edges and then cut 2 x 3's into pieces that fit in between the supports that were already.  Using drywall screws, I attached the new wood pieces to the existing drywall so I had something to attach the new drywall to.


I then cut the new pieces of drywall to fit, and screwed them into the supports all the along the outside.  I even cut a perfect little hole for the light fixture.  You don't want to know how bad I was sweating when I finished.


After that was done, I patched it with some joint compound and drywall tape.  Who knows why I didn't get a picture of that masterpiece.  It was probably 3 a.m. and I was delirious.

Ok, do you know what orange peel texture looks like?  Let me give you a beautiful close up.  Every wall and ceiling in my entire house is covered in this stuff.  And I hate it.


Since I didn't know how (or want) to duplicate that texture to match the rest of the ceiling, I got the bright idea to do a smooth texture on the whole thing so it looked seamless, crisp and modern.  Melanie told me it would be no problem........

It was SO hard and SO much work.  But I did it.  I DID IT!!!

It is a very messy job and I had to wear a mask and goggles AND turn the air off while I worked on it.  I was drenched in sweat from head to toe.  I have NO idea how I haven't lost 20 pounds while working on this bathroom.  It's so annoying.
I also did a smooth texture on the wall behind the toilet and the wall with the door.  It's much, much easier to do walls than ceilings.  The wall behind the vanity will be covered in mirrors and woodwork, and all the other walls are clad in subway tile.

Here is the same camera shot where the gaping hole was.  It's not perfect, and I can (barely) tell where I taped the seam, but I'm not a professional, so I'm pretty dang proud of my first attempt!


After a coat of white, semigloss paint, this is what the bathroom is looking like now.  I chose to use semigloss because this is a bathroom that sees a lot of action with three kids and countless visitors and it needs to be very easy on the cleanup side.


 I'd say it's a vast improvement, wouldn't you?

So here's the deal....I bought a box of premixed joint compound at Lowes for $7.50, a 12" trowel and a drywall tray.  Altogether is was under $15.  The materials were cheap, but the labor was intense and the time it took was extensive since I had to apply two coats and sand it two times to get it perfect.  There are lots of You-Tube videos to show you how to apply the joint compound and smooth it out. 

I'm happy to say that I absolutely love the finished result of the smooth ceiling and walls.  Would I do it again?  Not the ceiling.  I'll pay someone next time!  However, I would do the walls again myself.  They were actually kind of fun and therapeutic.

Next week?  I'll show you the finished floors.  I really, REALLY love them!


27 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Jill. My arms and neck and brain hurt for you! How could this little bathroom become such a lovely little monster? I don't know how you have the energy to do all that you do for your family PLUS this bathroom! And it is so small, did anyone else bigger than a size 2 even have room to help you? All I can say is that I hope that the satisfaction achieved from the finished product gives you many years of happiness and contentment. Heaven help the little boy that has bad aim in that masterpiece of a water closet! Can't wait to see more. XOXO G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness.....and then some more! You are such an inspiration! Can't wait to see it completed:). Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, my friend, are INDOMITABLE. I love your persistence. And it turned out beautiful! It's kind of scary the way you and Melanie get things done - the two of you together have to be a chemical reaction of some sort. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I admire your perseverance and your willingness to learn new skills. The bathroom is gorgeous I can't wait to see pictures of your house (and Mia's!) all decorated for fall, when (and if) the weather turns cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most of the bathroom vanities are held in place by the weight of the sink with caulking around the outside of the vanities it depends on who put it in but look at the wall being the vanities there could be screws holding it in place when we start to tear it out you may tear quit the drywall to. Take care trying to get it out because if there are nails or screws hole it against the wall may be we have to replace the drywall and make sure that we are disconnect all the other connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You kill me Jill! You are one amaZing person, packed in that tiny little body!!!! Pure AweSomeNess!!! I just love you to pieces~ i miss you =So happy I ran into you at the Vintage sale! seriously, before you take to the "friendly skies" we have to do lunch!!!
    hugs & kisses
    Terri (your favorite- part mexican)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using subway bathroom tiles Parker, you can improve the beauty of your bathroom. These are available in many varieties and colors in the market at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all depends on the depth of the pond, and the size of Waukesha stone that you elect to use. Piedra Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome web site! its interesting. thanks for sharing....สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to say this web site seriously certain me to make it happen! Many thanks, Superb post.สล็อต 999

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have bookmarked your weblog, the posts are way better than other identical weblogs.. thanks for a fantastic weblog!สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome and attention-grabbing short article. Fantastic stuff you've generally shared with us. Thanks. Just keep on composing this kind of publish.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a great deal for crafting such a fascinating article on this subject matter. This has really produced me Believe And that i hope to examine far more.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  14. Close friend, this Web-site may very well be fabolous, i just like it.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey There. I discovered your site making use of msn. This is an extremely perfectly published report. I’ll you should definitely bookmark it and come back to examine additional of your respective useful facts. Thanks for the write-up. I’ll unquestionably return.สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely enjoying every single minimal little bit of it. It is a great Internet site and pleasant share. I wish to thank you. Excellent task! You fellas do a great web site, and also have some good contents. Sustain the good get the job done.บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  17. This really is this sort of a terrific source that you are providing and also you give it away for free. I love observing website that fully grasp the worth of offering a high quality useful resource at no cost.สล็อตทรูวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your content material is nothing short of excellent in numerous ways. I feel That is partaking and eye-opening materials. Thank you a great deal of for caring regarding your information and your readers.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for one more excellent post. Where else could anyone get that sort of information in this sort of an excellent means of producing? I've a presentation next 7 days, and I am around the hunt for this sort of details.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty good article. I have just stumbled upon your site and relished reading your blog posts very much. I'm trying to find new posts to acquire extra important information. Large many thanks for your practical data.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  21. Exceptional short article. Incredibly attention-grabbing to browse. I actually love to go through such a good write-up. Thanks! hold rocking.เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some truly superb Focus on behalf in the operator of this Online web site , completely terrific content .เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beneficial web-site, wherever did u think of the knowledge on this publishing?I have read some of the articles on your website now, and I really like your model. Many thanks 1,000,000 and be sure to keep up the efficient get the job done.เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great produce-up, I am a giant believer in commenting on blogs to tell the blog writers know they’ve added anything worthwhile towards the world wide web!..สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...