18.5.12

skinny jeans in 10 minutes


Remember these Citizens of Humanity jeans I scored at a {thrift store} for $10?


When I bought them, they were boot cut and I wanted to tailor them to skinny jeans.  I must admit I did not love the skinny jean at first sight.  Stacey and Clinton always say women look best in long, straight leg or boot cut jeans (and I wholeheartedly agree) so it took me a while to warm up.  But when I tucked them into a pair of tall leather boots, it was over.


"Sockies" tutorial {here}.

One of our readers requested a skinny jean tutorial.  Perhaps you want make them too.

Start with a pair of pants you want to tailor into straight leg or skinny jeans. 


Turn them inside out and lay them nice and flat.


Get a pair of pants that already fit you (make sure they're the same shape you want your new pants to be) and lay them on top of the pants you're altering.  Trace the shape of the top pair of pants onto the bottom pair.  This will be your sewing guide. 


Note:  I LOVE this chaco liner pen. It's fabulous for drawing temporary lines on anything (except white) Jilly has been coveting mine since the first time she laid eyes on it, so I ordered her one today.  Get your own at Amazon.com {here}.  Jilly's will be arriving on her door step in 7 to 10 days.

Note:  I've found re-filling it with baby powder works best.



The crotch in these pants happened to fit me but if they don't, I draw a line all the way up the pant leg, around the crotch,  and down the other leg.  If you are sewing around the crotch, sew a reinforcement stitch in that area.

Pin the pant legs together, close to the chalk line and sew a new seam. 



Cut off the excess pant and finish the seams.  I copied the existing seam on these jeans.



I just bought the tee on clearance for $6 at Target.  It's actually a super thin night shirt that I cut the sleeves off of for summer. 

10 comments:

  1. Love the skinny jeans on you.. next thing I know you'll be wearing bright colored jeans too :) You can pull off anything. aaaaand I'm dying over that shirt. If it just happens to disappear sometime.. don't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Slimming wide leg or flaired jeans into skinny jeans never even crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it to a pair of my Diesel jeans ,everyone loved em, That's for the amazing tutorial!,

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! I have so many pairs of boot cut jeans that I can't stand wearing because of the crazy bell bottoms. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the skinny jeans on you.. next thing I know you'll be wearing bright colored jeans too :) You can pull off anything. and I'm dying over that shirt. If it just happens to disappear sometime.. don't be surprised.
    straight jeans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. very easy way to make skinny jeans

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...