24.8.11

mia's kitchen makeover

My family currently resides in our second tract home and when you live in a neighborhood like ours, you get pretty creative at giving your little slice of the world some character. 

When I first walked through the model of our home, the size of the kitchen immediately had my attention.  It had lots of storage, plenty of square footage, and the counter space seemed endless.  It was separate from the family room and entry (just in case there was a mess in the sink from the previous nights festivities), but flowed nicely to the breakfast nook and family room.  Then I saw the double ovens and I was sold.

Until I can build my dream home (not holding my breath), I'm continually trying to create a comfortable home that is warm and inviting to all who enter our doors. 

I was going through some old pictures on my computer and I found one of our kitchen shortly after we moved in.  It inspired me to wash some windows, and take a few pics of our kitchen now. 

BEFORE


AFTER

First, something had to be done about our boring and dismal cabinets.  I knew this was not a job that would strengthen my marriage, so I hired Cory, my finish carpenter, to add molding to the upper and lower cabinets, build out my island, and add base to the lowers.  I'll admit it, watching him work those power saws and transform my kitchen into a work of art was a bit of a turn on!  Good thing I'm way too in love with my man.

Second, I had too many uppers that all looked the same, so Cory broke them up with seeded glass on the cabinets to the right and left of my sink. 

 

I love our back splash, made out of Italian, brick veneer.  I lucked out and had just enough left over from a design job to do my kitchen and front porch.  My girl, G, jumped in like a trooper and helped me with the install.   When the grout was almost dry, I took a knife and chiseled out big chunks to give it that old, weathered look.  It has a beautiful aged patina I'm crazy about.

My surfaces were the big splurge in my kitchen.  I thought long and hard about what to use that would be both functional and aesthetic.   

After lots of research, I decided to go with copper counter tops.  They have an anti microbial agent that naturally fights bacteria.  They're also a live finish so they change color from really bright, if you leave a tomato sitting on them, to a rich, dark copper color over time. 

They can easily be brought back to their original finish, and they last forever.  I had the installer apply an umber colored stain and I love the way the rich color compliments the back splash.


I chose stained concrete for our island.  I found a contractor who could stamp different designs around the edge and I love this egg and dart pattern.  The slab on our island weighs 22 lbs/sq ft and took 6 very muscley men to haul it into our kitchen.  It was a scene.    


I also had a concrete slab made for our sink.  It's extra deep to hold lots of dirty dishes so I only have to do them once a week:)


I found some old fencing at a salvage yard and took it over to my next door neighbor Randy, the welder.  He looked at me like I was crazy but let's be honest, I know.  After a few different sketches and a master plan, here's what we came up with.

It's so heavy we had to get up in the attic and create reinforcements in the rafters.  I'm quite certain the boys could do pull ups on it.  Monkey bars for el Nino?

The painting of cabinets was no small task, and took about a week of devoted friends and a loving husband, taping, spraying, rolling, crying, and swearing we'd never do it again.  I used three different colors to break up all the cabinets and dressed them down with three unique styles of hardware.
    

A few of my fav kitchen accessories. 

Mr. and Mrs. owl S & P shakers, anthropologie candles in any scent.


The perfectly crusty, antique chair nestled by my pantry door.  She needs to be reupholstered, but I can't bring myself to do it until I find the perfect replacement fabric.


The hand painted sign next to my laundry room.


My feeble attempt to be organized.  I got this hanging file box at Ross for $10 and embellished it with decorative paper and paint.  I wish I could say I never have papers out on my counter, but it's a lie.


The butterfly window treatment over my sink.  I found the cherub architectural element at Good Will for $3.50 and Jilly donated the blue silk.   


My kitchen is a work in progress.  I'm going to panel the refrigerator and the dishwasher doors with the help of the ladies from Club Project.  Have you ever done it?  I'd LOVE some pointers!

32 comments:

  1. Wow, Wow and Wow!!! Your kitchen is gorgeous and in no way looks like any tract house kitchen I have ever seen. Every detail is perfect. This would truly be my fav room in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done. I'm impressed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.....it is absolutely beautiful - I'm so, so impressed. Makes me want to tackle my kitchen!!! Fabulous job Mia!

    Joanne

    grr....I get blogger to let me post via my name....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO lovely! I love your site...you two really do have good taste!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo excited about this DIY! My kitchen has those same old cabinets and I didn't think there was anything I could do about it (I thought about adding molding, but didn't realize it would turn out THAT fabulous!!). Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm speechless!!! It's gorgeous!! I would never think to do so many different things, I guess I still have a problem with being too uniform. But I L-O-V-E it!!!!! I have new things to work on. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this turned out. My favorite features are the dark lower cabinets and the woodwork done on the island. Everything turned out just great! If you are up for it, come on by my Mommy Monday link up and share with everyone. It's open through Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A M A Z I N G!!! This is just beautiful! Every inch is unreal and the details never end. I am in the process of a kitchen model. Thank you for all the inspiration and ideas.
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is amazing. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I would like to move in, please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a transformation! J'adore all the details. Thank you for sharing - this kitchen is a work from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here from Better After ~ LOVE the pot rack...beautiful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love your kitchen! I live in Gilbert AZ and I would love your carpenter to work his magic on my kitchen. Can you share his info? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous...please send us an email and we will give you his information. www.meandjilly@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen is my dream kitchen. I guess I will have to stop drooling now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely LOVE your new kitchen. Can you also share with us how to panel over the refrig and dishwasher when your friends explain it to you. Please give all the details... even the minor ones to help us all out! That is one thing that I would love to do! Also - how old were your kitchen cabinets? Ours our about 25 years old and I think they can still stand the test of time but I would like to paint them white. Any pointers?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I absolutely LOVE the kitchen, but I think my favorite feature is the pots and pans hanger! That is so awesome. I hate digging around my cabinets for mine but I just don't always like the look of hanging them, until I saw yours....beautiful job!

    Kelli @ www.theinspiredcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a great transformation! I love what you did with the cabinets! Love the finish on the lower cabinets and also the molding. Will stare at pics for a while to figure out where the old ends and new begins. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I had the idea to add molding to my cabs too. So glad you posted the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What color is the paint in your kitchen, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Annie. The paint in my kitchen is a mixture of a few different colors! (of course, it couldn't just be easy right?) Are you local? I'm happy to dip a paint stick so you can have it color matched at Lowes or Home Depot...
    If you live far and away, just send your address to meandjilly@gmail.com and I'll mail it to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I have the name and number of the contractor who did the concrete work? Thanks!
    elsa15@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! Beautiful! I am about to tackle a DIY kitchen renovation including painting our cabinets with the same plan as light upper and dark lower cabinests...and maybe even painting our red floral wallpaper! ha ha!Would love to know the color of paint you used for your upper and lower cabinets! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mia, I'm just smitten. I'm in the process of painting our kitchen cabinets, and just got lost in your blog for a good hour. You do some remarkable work, lady! I've shared this with my friends on my blog fb page. AMAZING WORK!!!!!! xo ~ Virginia from livelovediy.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your kitchen!! What paint colors did you use and where did you get your hardware?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What is the color you painted your island? It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. In this economy, expensive kitchen remodeling is out and saving money is in. Fortunately, it is still possible to have a beautiful kitchen on a budget. There's no need to break the bank doing kitchen remodeling.great idea!! It contributed more of my knowledge on how to decorate/remodel my kitchen on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What color are the window treatments? Are the curtains full length? Can I also get the wall color names? Sdjager @msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen! I am doing a remodel this spring and plan to go from all white cabinets to cream and dark brown. Your photos are great! It's all in the details.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your older kitchen may looked plain and simple, but it had a classy and bold ambiance. However, the remodeling definitely gave it some character. It looked more rustic and vintage-like. [Terence]

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...