18.2.11

best dumpster find to date



On the second week of every month, something magical happens in Gilbert Arizona. It's called "big TRASH pick-up". Monday morning you put out all the rubbish that won't fit in your dumpster, and sometime during the week the city will come by and collect it....unless I beat them to it!
Needless to say, it's penned in on my calendar, and nothing trumps my plans for the day.

Last week I dropped my daughter, 16 year old Jaci, off at a friends, and was driving home through a quaint neighborhood with my windows down. I glanced over at the culdesac I was passing, when WHAT?! HOLD UP! Heaven help me...an antique curio in perfect condition!

I always have the decency to knock on the door, and ask the owners if I can take their trash. It's the least I can do. I knocked, and one of Jaci's friends (of male persuasion) answered the door. I had no idea it was his house, and he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him! I told him I loved the trash out front, and he asked me if I'd like a hand loading it. I thanked him for his help and drove away, giddy with excitement.

Not two minutes later, I got a phone call from my adolescent daughter.
"Mom, what. did. you. do. with. Clint. this. afternoon?"
(in a very confused voice).
He had sent her a text something like this......"hey, I hung out with your mom this afternoon, ask her about it". I told her about my newest treasure, and thankfully, she thought it was pretty funny.

This is probably the best thing I have ever pulled from the trash.






It's all in one piece and best of all it was FREE!

Please stay tuned for the makeover.

6 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time controlling my emotions on this one. I don't want to offend anyone or ruffle anyone's feathers, but why on earth would something like that be put out for the trash guys to haul away. I just don't get it. Is there something about this piece you're not telling us?

    On second thought, I'm just going to think of this as a 'kiss from heaven' find! Such an interesting piece. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Big Trash Day - I need to find out when it is here. That credenza is gorgeous, you are just going to take it to an amazing level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous!
    My 10 yr old daughter and I are always driving the alley's in our South Scottsdale neighborhood looking for treasures! I need to find out when they do this in our area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love!! What a great find, and such a fun story to go along with it! I'm sure your daughter was quite surprised!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...