7.12.10

delightful holiday salad


Yesterday I had my 90 year old Granny, Mollie Mae, over for dinner. She is one of my favorite favorites, weighing in at 80 pounds and standing at 4ft 7in. tall. Needless to say she is teenie weenie, but every ounce of her is pure SUGAR.

I love her because she married my dear Grandpa after his wife died 25 years ago and has loved and taken great care of him ever since. I love her because she is always happy and cheerful. I love that her kids, and their kids are now part of my family and they're some pretty special people.

My Gramps passed away about 5 years ago, so I love to take care of this little lady. I made her fettuccine with homemade cream sauce and grilled chicken, baguette bread with toasted brie, and this Holiday salad, which has become one of my pleasures.

It's officially pomegranate season, so whip up this salad and share it with someone you love.

Kelly's Holiday Salad w/ Blush Viniagrette



Kelly Brown is a friend of "me & jilly" and also happens to be an extraordinary cook. She always has somethin' wonderful going on in her kitchen and this salad is one of my KB favs!

Salad:
Mix of Spinach and bib lettuce
sugar snap peas
sliced pears (or any fruit or berry in season)
pomegranate
green onion
candied walnuts
crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (feta or blue will work as well)
Add whatever else you have on hand including crumbled bacon, apple, red onion, etc.
Proportions don't matter so just toss it all together and dress just before serving.

Blush Vinaigrette:
1/2 C seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 C red wine vinegar
3/4 C sugar (or approx 1/3 C agave nectar)
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 T dried parsley
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 C olive oil
Blend all thoroughly and let sit a couple hours before serving. As always, my measurements are approx! Add or subtract to taste.

Candied Walnuts:
1 1/2 cups walnuts (or pecans)
1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
Whip egg white with fork until frothy. Add walnuts and brown sugar, stir, pour (single layer) onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. It will look like a giant cookie. Let cool and break apart.

3 comments:

We LOVE comments and we read every single one. Go ahead, make our day!
Mia & Jilly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...